Out and About
Cycle routes for work and leisureKeen to get out and about on two wheels this summer but wondering where to cycle?
There are lots of great routes around the country to go family cycling. Even if you don't have a designated cycle route in your area, just go along the canal or down the park. Ask one of our in-store team about routes in your area.
Halfords has teamed up with sustainable transport charity Sustrans to identify family-friendly cycle routes around the country.
The routes form part of the 12,000-mile National Cycle Network and have lots to keep the family entertained. They include refreshment stops, artworks to enhance the journey and access to attractions, like parks and nature reserves
Send off for a handy free information pack put together especially for you by Sustrans, the charity behind the National Cycle Network. The pack contains great ideas for cycle rides near you, including routes on traffic-free paths which are ideal for families or, if you need to build up your confidence, in safe surroundings. Your pack also comes with plenty of practical advice to help make the most of your bike.
To claim your free information pack from Sustrans visit www.freeyourbike.org.uk or call 0845 113 00 65
Cycling as a Family
Cycling is a fun and rewarding way to spend time with the family. What's more, it's a great way to exercise and keep healthy! Whether you're a seasoned professional or an occasional cyclist, it's got lots to offer the whole family:
- Keep fit and healthy
- Have fun spending time as a family
- Beat the credit crunch - it's a cheap family day out
- Enjoy the countryside and the fresh air
- Be environmentally friendly
Hints and Tips
- Always take water and snacks
- Pack a small first aid kit that includes plasters, antiseptic wipes and tissue
- Cycle luggage is useful to take your picnic and other bits and pieces
- Take a small multi-tool with you for emergency repairs
- Make sure you have a pump, and some tyre seal for a quick fix in case of punctures
- Make sure you pack waterproof jackets